The 2012 version of the Vectorworks line of design software, from Vectorworks Designer, to Architect, Landmark, Spotlight, Fundamentals and Renderworks, is now available.
The new features and enhancements in Vectorworks 2012 include:
- Enhanced 3D modeling: The software now examines the model under the cursor and sets the working plane automatically, removing the general need for users to manually set working planes. This planar autosensing is also the basis for the new 3D dimensioning feature. Other 3D modeling features in Vectorworks include instant access to push/pull functionality after profile object creation, and also ‘reshape’ improvements.
- Improved Building Information Modeling (BIM) capabilities: The new ‘stories’ feature allows design layers to be dynamically and vertically referenced to named story elevations. Story-aware objects like walls, columns, slabs and stairs can span across stories and update with story elevation changes. Plus, improvements to wall component joining, insulation fills, spaces, stairs, walls and windows all increase the ability to design intelligently and efficiently. Support of the open BIM file standard, Industry Foundation Classes (IFC), has been significantly improved, and IFC import now has higher-fidelity geometry from imported elements, while IFC space objects are now translated into native Vectorworks space objects.
- Integration of building and site: Vectorworks 2012 software marries building and site design and is the first package to combine a complete BIM modeler with extensive Geographic Information System (GIS) capabilities (available in the Vectorworks Architect, Landmark and Designer applications). Thanks to the latest improvements, users can now store georeferenced information on each Vectorworks design layer, transform geometry to a different map projection or georeferenced coordinate system, and enjoy improved ‘shapefile’ import and export functions.
- Best integrated renderer: Improvements to the Renderworks rendering application include the introduction of Renderworks Styles, which can be re-used and shared among team members. In addition, users will enjoy significantly improved OpenGL shadows and better solar animations with the new Heliodon object.
- More than 100 performance and usability improvements: This release addresses user requests such as a new 2D X-ray fills mode, faster viewport navigation, new custom color options for backgrounds, faster access to frequently used settings, coincident selection, streamlined polyline arc editing, offset improvements, improved wheel zooming and others. This version also offers designers the ability to generate hidden lines between intersecting geometry and, in the Design Series products, to modify objects by record value.
- New features in the Vectorworks Landmark and Spotlight applications: The newest version of the Vectorworks Landmark program includes improved stake objects with better visual representation and data information on the drawing, better control over hardscape creation, a new option to convert between boundary and path configurations and the ability to specify different pattern sizes for grid and running pavers. The Vectorworks 2012 Spotlight application features a more intuitive way to focus instruments, as well as a new ‘soft goods’ object that enables the creation of curtain, border and pipe-and-drape assemblies.
The Vectorworks line of software products provides professional design solutions for more than 450,000 designers in the AEC, entertainment and landscape design industries. With a tradition of designing flexible, versatile, intuitive and affordable CAD and Building Information Modeling (BIM) solutions, Nemetschek Vectorworks continues to be a global leader in 3D design technologies.
Vectorworks Designer is the leading software for design professionals in the Architecture, Landscape, and Entertainment industries. Vectorworks Designer integrates the technology of every Vectorworks product into a single, intuitive interface. Vectorworks Designer offers a capable, integrated software solution whether the need is for drafting, modeling, or presentation, for students or professionals alike.
Vectorworks Spotlight, meanwhile, offers an excellent choice for CAD software in entertainment design settings, from lighting, to scenery, sets, corporate events, theatrical productions, or exhibits. With its excellent 2D and 3D capabilities, Vectorworks Spotlight offers the easy creation of powerful presentations for any number of performing arts needs. Renderworks, meanwhile, is the design suite’s integrated rendering application, offering an assortment of high-quality presentation techniques for setting lighting, mapping textures, adding HDRI backgrounds and the production of high-quality renderings -- all from within a single application. Vectorworks also supports building, architectural, machine design, and advanced rendering tasks with products including Architect, Landmark, Fundamentals and Renderworks.Upcoming Events Vectorworks will be present at the MANTS 2012 event which takes place from January 11-13, 2012, at the Baltimore Convention Center in Baltimore, Maryland. Vectorworks will be found at Booth #2651.